Weekly Real Estate Market Update, March 21/14

Net loss/gain in listings this week: 97 (95, 104, 63)
Active single family home listings: 2090 (1993, 1907, 1838)

Looks like I'm going to have to rework my chart next week, the average price of single family homes is literally off the chart. We still have higher sales than last year and fewer new listings, but the inventory is starting to improve.

EdmontonHomePrices 2
Edmonton Home Prices
ListingsandSales 2
Listings and Sales

22 Responses to “Weekly Real Estate Market Update, March 21/14”

1. a common guyNo Gravatar 21. Mar, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

Also, try to fix the annoying bug with the charts when you click on them (going dark!). Hard to read them…

• RBCNo Gravatar 21. Mar, 2014 at 2:03 pm #

Until they fix it…try right click, then “open link in new tab”.

2. CastledownsNo Gravatar 21. Mar, 2014 at 3:10 pm #

Same here. Win 7 with Google Chrome.

3. BOSSNo Gravatar 21. Mar, 2014 at 5:11 pm #

Wow, off the chart!

Right click the chart and choose, “Open link in new window”.
    That should solve your bug…

4. CastledownsNo Gravatar 24. Mar, 2014 at 11:12 pm #

Would Sara MacLennan please fix the chart bug? It’s very short sighted to focus on the Mac OS platform.

As of Q4 2013, Windows controlled 59 percent of the PC market, followed by Google with 23 percent and Apple 18.5 percent.

Conclusion: Your chart does NOT work properly to the majority of readers here.

• wsnNo Gravatar 25. Mar, 2014 at 8:55 am #

I would also bet that house buyer/sellers are more (than 59%) likely to use a PC, while Apple are more likely used by renters (because of a younger age).

• Sara MacLennanNo Gravatar 25. Mar, 2014 at 7:58 pm #

Hey everyone, sorry for the delayed response… I am working on a completely new, responsive design (adjusts for all screen sizes) and have neglected the current site. I thought I would have the new site ready sooner but it’s taking a long time. I’ll get on it.
      PS – thanks for sticking up for me ;)

5. gregNo Gravatar 25. Mar, 2014 at 9:33 am #

I think all of you should stop complaining and demanding things from Sara and this site. In fact, you should get busy and build your own real estate blog, maintain it, update it, build it, get all the chart info ready, answer and fix all feedback from clients & random public trolls and people who do nothing to add value to Sara, her company or this site, yet seem to come here religiously and pick apart every thing they can find. And quite frankly when I read some of the replies and comments on here, I want to jump through my screen and poke the poster in the eye, and tell them to get a grip and quit acting like the world revolves around you.
    Add some value or stay away.
    I am a weekly reader and I can clearly see what goes into keeping this site up, and I give my support to them and say Good Job!! I can see the charts fine, and Im a PC guy.

This is a blog, a useful one for those who choose to see it so. I don’t see adverts from telus, or any ways they are getting paid for operating this blog except for building a name for their real estate business.

Yeesh!

6. a common guyNo Gravatar 25. Mar, 2014 at 10:29 am #

Greg,

Chill out! We do come here to read the charts and stats and if that very thing is hard to read then maybe the owner wants to fix it. I think I was the first that pointed this out a while back. We are not real estate agents, so what you say makes no sense (go and build your own blog!).
    It’s like a customer walking into a restaurant and pointing out an issue to the owner and one other customer jumps in and suggests go and open your own restaurant!

• gregNo Gravatar 25. Mar, 2014 at 11:41 am #

Believe me, I am chill, perhaps you read it as though that was directed at your initial polite request. Or the one you made a while ago. It was not. It was more a general statement to those who sometimes come here, crap their negativity across all discussions and topics. Complainers and Trolls irk me. All apologies.

If suggestions to improve the site were made in support, fine. Without any implied tone. Considering we all get the information for free, do we really have the right to sound like we demand things. Perhaps there is a bug in the code somewhere. Perhaps your browser has a bug?

Maybe its difficult and time consuming, to just “get it fixed Sara!” Maybe she’s busy selling houses? instead of figuring out why the clicker doesn’t work exactly right on an image in a few peoples random browsers, whether they keep them updated them or not.

If i owned a restaurant, a paying customer came up to me and gave some feedback that can improve my business, I would most certainly listen and do what I could to satisfy them. Because they sometimes come there and add value to my business by paying for my product. Or saying something nice about the food they once ate there. There is a keyword there. Paying..Adding Value somehow.

Is there a coin slot on the top of this site?

Some of the comments that I have seen previously directed at her personally are just plain rude and completely unappreciative of the efforts made.

• wsnNo Gravatar 25. Mar, 2014 at 12:44 pm #

Please don’t be too sensitive. I don’t see any rude comments, at least not on this page.

Sara is providing free info. And we are providing free feedback. Suggesting a web page to be compatible with MS Windows is as honest and valuable as a suggestion can be.

7. Billy OceanNo Gravatar 25. Mar, 2014 at 11:31 am #

Site works fine, your computers are broke! Or you do not know how to use it!
    Win07 Chrome

8. a common guyNo Gravatar 25. Mar, 2014 at 1:21 pm #

Greg, I use different platforms (Windows, Ubuntu, Android, but not Mac, not for me) and have tried different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE, all under different OS) and the issue remains. I hazard a guess that Sara hasn’t designed/implemented this page herself and whoever has done this for her has not done it properly (or at least has not tested it properly).

• Sara MacLennanNo Gravatar 26. Mar, 2014 at 10:52 am #

Can you please give it a try now? It should be working. Thanks!

• a common guyNo Gravatar 26. Mar, 2014 at 12:03 pm #

Now it works fine on Firefox on Ubuntu. Will try it on Windows later.
        thanks for the fix.

9. DougNo Gravatar 25. Mar, 2014 at 4:46 pm #

Can we stop talking about technogy and get back to real estate?
    Housing prices are starting to heat up. I’d be buying now as the next few years are only going to get hotter with continued low mortgage rates with mature neighbourhoods leading the way with downtown becoming the place everyone wants to be close to.

I’d be looking at neighbourhoods like Forest Heights, Strathearn, and Holyrod, as these will be benefiting the most due to theirs proximity to downtown, new LRT, and the river valley.

• JoJoNo Gravatar 26. Mar, 2014 at 9:01 am #

I was looking at a few foreclosures around westmount. When I went for a walk through I couldn’t decide whether it would make sense to convert them to rentals or just infill.

• GMNo Gravatar 27. Mar, 2014 at 11:51 pm #

Shhh!!! Don’t tell everybody or they’ll bid the prices up in these neighbourhoods before I can buy!

10. mcmattersonNo Gravatar 26. Mar, 2014 at 12:45 pm #

Is it me or have listings cratered this week? Barely any the last few days.

• Sara MacLennanNo Gravatar 26. Mar, 2014 at 1:27 pm #

Seems pretty steady – 208 in the past three days. It usually picks up Wednesday and Thursday so listings are on in time for the weekend.

• mcmattersonNo Gravatar 26. Mar, 2014 at 2:04 pm #

Thanks for the response. Perhaps it is only in the neighborhoods where I’m looking. Hoping for some decent inventory in Beaumaris soon, but not much has come on the market this year as of yet.

11. CREITNo Gravatar 27. Mar, 2014 at 11:47 pm #

Either that is a bounce or market bottoming.