Weekly Update, Dec. 6/13

Net loss/gain in listings this week: -235 (-128, -122, -104)
Active single family home listings: 1934 (2072, 2118, 2206)

Dec6two
Real Estate Listings and Sales
Dec6one
Real Estate Prices

Given that we have covered a lot of stats over the past week on our blog, we will leave it here and give everyone time to digest, happy reading.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Stay warm

34 Responses to “Weekly Update, Dec. 6/13”

1. A commong guyNo Gravatar 06. Dec, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Interesting that the price chart follows almost exactly the same as last year with a slight shift up.

2. GMNo Gravatar 07. Dec, 2013 at 8:12 am #

Up we go… but will we get the January plunge as seen in the chart?

3. 123kidNo Gravatar 07. Dec, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

looking good.

• harboursnugNo Gravatar 07. Dec, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

What the -39 with the windchill. lol

• wsnNo Gravatar 07. Dec, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

Yes, -39. What a crappy place!

But then, what a loser one must be that he is not able to afford a house in such a crappy place. Would he be able to afford one in Vancouver?

• RippedNo Gravatar 09. Dec, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

Didsbury had Edmonton beat…

link to vancouversun.com

4. ShawnNo Gravatar 08. Dec, 2013 at 8:06 am #

I would never trade Sherwood Park for any city, not Calgary, not Vancouver, no other city as the cold is a small sacrifice for an amazing county. Happiness is relative anyway; therefore, if you are miserable in the cold you most likely are just miserable no matter where you live. The weather is an easy target. See I tend to focus on the important factors, crime, community, amenities, street maintenance, commute, esthetics, safety…….

• wsnNo Gravatar 08. Dec, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

Exactly, I have friends who can hardly wait for the temperature to drop (so that the surface of the lakes are rigid enough for ice fishing).

• harboursnugNo Gravatar 08. Dec, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Sounds like you’ve never been anywhere else.

5. JohnNo Gravatar 08. Dec, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

Harboursnug,

I pretty sure you and a lot of people are stuck in this cold miserable city. Honestly, do I like it here probably not, but realize this might be the greatest place to live in terms of making money. I have a couple of houses, could I have accomplished that in BC or Toronto, doubt it. My end goal is to work as hard as I can (save/invest) for the next 10-15 years and retire in a hot climate like Mexico or go back to BC. Instead of knocking this place, we have to embrace it and thank God there is a such a place to get wealthy.

• harboursnugNo Gravatar 08. Dec, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

John,

You must be in the oil patch or related to it, good for you.

When I’m working I’m anywhere in the world but here and when unemployed I’m back in this miserable cold friggen place I call home.

I’ve seen so many places I’d rather be, I just wish politics didn’t dictate it.

6. ShawnNo Gravatar 08. Dec, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

Harboursnug,
    I have been all over the world, so I’m not sure how your deduction skills work from me pointing out standard of living indexes. I’m just proving a point….another point coming.

You are unemployed here and mentioned that you are always here when you are unemployed. Do you think your relationship with Edmonton and Unemployment could be adding to your anger and frustration? I’m working….making money….feel productive………etc,etc….now I’m not working…..making no money……feeling lazy……etc, etc……Edmonton has no jobs for me to make a decent salary (I LOVE EDMONTON). I try not let my deduction skills get the better of me….sorry. Why can’t you find a kick-ass job here?

John – You realize what you have accomplished is wealth and therefore; happiness, they do go hand in hand. So whether your happiness comes from financial security or offering wealth to your family, this must be the land of happiness, or at least that is how I see it. NOW – if it were a constant 25 C average……well….then this would be paradise, and also over overcrowded and over cultured….etc….can’t have everything.

7. harboursnugNo Gravatar 08. Dec, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

Shawn,

I grew up in Sherwood Park, still here.

I’ve worked all over Europe, Mediterranean, US, Latin America and Caribbean with telecom.

When I was young and fancy free I backpacked around the world for two years.

This is no special place, trust me.

• GMNo Gravatar 09. Dec, 2013 at 5:40 am #

Harboursnug,

I agree that Edmonton Is not the most idyllic place on earth to live.
      What I can’t understand is why you keep coming back here with all of the choices there are. Even in Canada, let alone the world.

Who in their right mind would continue to go back to a place they despise?

• harboursnugNo Gravatar 09. Dec, 2013 at 6:35 am #

Family

• wsnNo Gravatar 09. Dec, 2013 at 10:06 am #

Still living in your mother’s basement?

8. wsnNo Gravatar 09. Dec, 2013 at 10:12 am #

harboursnug,

You are truly one of a kind. Other people endure this cold because they are here to make big money. If you were happily employed in a better place, why stay unemployed in this very cold crappy place?

Family is just an excuse. If I am unemployed here, my parents would be ashamed of me and would urge me to go to another place to work.

Work > Family!

(When people say Family > Work, they meant the additional work over the 8 hour/day schedule.)

9. harboursnugNo Gravatar 09. Dec, 2013 at 10:20 am #

STFU wsn and get back to work to pay that mortgage. lol

10. 123kidNo Gravatar 09. Dec, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

just relax mongrels… whether you like living in YEG or not does NOT matter in the bigger scheme of things.

Just a side point here…. anybody who purchases a glitter home in the city outskirts on a postage stamp should just lay down arms and pack er in…. vinyl sided/stucco pieces of crap.

Track household formation rates, understand demographics, and what the definition is for an emergent economy and why Oilberta matches that definition.

Simple…. human monkeys.

• RippedNo Gravatar 09. Dec, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

The downtown could use a facelift to attract some life.

11. JohnNo Gravatar 09. Dec, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

harboursnug

No, I don’t work in the oilpatch, work 2 jobs 84 hours a week, did that for 4-5 years. The biggest thing is qualifying for the mortgage and even if you wash dishes, you can make $14 hour. I am different than most people, I would rather sacrifice my life for short term and enjoy later in life.

Shawn, yes, I feel pretty good about myself, when I see my properties going up and cash flowing, really happy, even if I had to deal with the -35 weather.
    I can live in Vancouver,with the beautiful weather, but doubt I would be as happy because I would have a 1 bedroom condo, kind of going backwards in life.

12. birdladyNo Gravatar 09. Dec, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

This blog used to have some interesting comments regarding real estate trends but as I have read in between travels, it has degraded to a bunch of insulting morons – and pretty well the same morons every week. The same old people making the same old comments about how smart they are compared to the rest of the world and throwing insults at most everyone that has a comment. Some of you should go back and read the threads from beginning to end and you will see what and who I am talking about.

Buy, sell, rent, live in Edmonton, don’t live in Edmonton – who cares! The fact of the matter is Alberta has the best employment outlook and still reasonable real estate. People who moved here from BC or Ontario might be asking what the heck they got themselves into with the weather in Alberta the last while -, so they may all sell and head home soon in which case there will be more inventory on the market.

• 123kidNo Gravatar 09. Dec, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

birdlady- you must be somewhat referring to this article

link to edmontonrealestateblog.com

BTW, we dont need your social commentary about who is and who isnt a moron…. and calling people insulting morons. Since they way you state it, Id include you in also as one of those throwing around insults at most everyone.

• GMNo Gravatar 09. Dec, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

There are many places in Ontario that are not unfamiliar with extremely cold temperatures. BC too. BC is not just Vancouver.

13. 123kidNo Gravatar 09. Dec, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

birdlady picks and chooses who she regards as a moron… yet read her comment on this post and the ridiculous apologetic bs she pulls off… the langauge of the blog is completely unpro… and yet she sucks up

link to edmontonrealestateblog.com

get a grip you nut

• wsnNo Gravatar 10. Dec, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

Be understanding.

It’s not easy to endure -39 in a house. It’s just worse to endure -39 in a trailer.

14. birdladyNo Gravatar 10. Dec, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

123 kid and wsn. thanks for proving my point – you guys are beyond words. I hardly ever comment or read this blog anymore. I happen to be in the fun and sun right now enjoying life. Just thought I would have a look and see if anything had changed – and it hadn’t – but I’m glad this blog gives you two a social life.

15. Inspector GadgetNo Gravatar 11. Dec, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

I am in the same boat Birdlady. The trash talk here has driven me away. I quickly look at the mls stats provided and rarely even bother with the comment section. This is the first time in weeks I have bothered and what a surprise, the same couple nasty people still have nothing better to do than put people down.
    Glad my two houses are holding up in value, but even more glad my other investments are really humming. Might be spending even more time under a Palm tree this year instead of cleaning a Mcmansion and wishing I was somewhere else. Edmonton has been very very good to me and I am fond of it but there is a great big world out there folks.

• birdladyNo Gravatar 11. Dec, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Inspector Gadget, I’m glad someone agrees with me. I still have a look at the stats that Sheldon and Sara post weekly but really try not to read the blog. Arizona has been a little cool so far but nothing like Edmonton has been for sure. However, if not for the opportunities in Edmonton over the years, I wouldn’t be here – short term weather pain for later life sunshine gain :)

• HawkeyeNo Gravatar 13. Dec, 2013 at 8:20 am #

It’s telling to see how you continue to “ignore” this blog! :)

16. Sara MacLennanNo Gravatar 13. Dec, 2013 at 9:27 am #

I’m not sure what you think we can/should do about the comments. When we remove or edit profanity and particularly abusive posts, we are accused of censorship, it’s not and we continue to moderate things. The best solution I’ve come up with is to not stir the pot and stay out of it, unless something new is discussed. I’m tired of reading the same attacks on a city I love and all the other repetitive garbage too! Any actual clients that read the blog have always told us they don’t go near the comments. Not to mention the fact we are currently being sued for some of your derogatory comments.

We have a code of conduct, we do our best to force everyone to stay within it. If someone has another reasonable suggestion I’m all ears.

• wsnNo Gravatar 13. Dec, 2013 at 10:34 am #

Essentially every real estate discussion would turn into a heated debate between those who have and those who have not.

It’s not new. In a society, there exists a point of no return, based on existing rules of game, that the have not group will permanently stay that way. In the history of mankind, revolutions took place and heads rolled because of this eternal conflict.

As a blog admin, you could:
      1) Censor based on your own discretion, OR
      2) Make it a free for all, OR
      3) Separate into two blogs: one for property owners and one for non owners.

17. AnonNo Gravatar 13. Dec, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

I too find the personal attacks a big turn off. Obviously certain posters have garnered enough info on other posters to make everything very, very personal. It reads as petty, juvenile, and mean-spirited and at this point, does not contribute to any meaningful discussion on real estate.

• wsnNo Gravatar 13. Dec, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

Anon, one thing leads to another.

trashes Edmonton for its winter season –>
      brags about spending time in a warmer place –>
      reveals living in a motor home –>

You get the idea. I mean, if it’s supposed to be personal information and not a topic for public discussion, then the poster shouldn’t talk about it in the first place.

If the poster wanted to use a piece of personal info for bragging purpose, then there is nothing preventing it being used against her.

Personally, I have revealed that I own a new suburb house. Fully expected, some posters call my house “McMansion” and things like “post stamp lot”, or “crap material”. And I am totally fine with that.